Associate Editor for Boutique Design magazine
We are currently looking for a talented Associate Editor for our Boutique Design magazine. The primary purpose of this position is to write original content for print and the website; expand BD’s relationship by making contacts at our trade fairs and industry events; help with the product process; manage social media.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write for departments such as Exit Interview, The Buzz; Check Out BD.com; TOC and Design Deconstructed: Research and secure people/projects for coverage in these sections; write the copy, obtain the graphics and necessary rights; take the lead on shepherding these pieces from the initial assignment through the production process, including review of PDFs
- Create a schedule for and manage editorial content online: Create a monthly calendar of features and interviews; assign to other writers and research, write and post at least two features and two blogs each month; develop a stable of regular bloggers from the industry; collate and post the weekly enewsletter; develop initiatives to increase visits and lengthen stay
- Oversee calls, writing of and art selection for two showrooms each month: Create product submission forms for the magazine showrooms; oversee the distribution of those forms to the intended industry vendors; download all submissions (and consult with sales team to make sure “must contacts” have been made); curate the submissions for the magazine, based on such factor as creativity/increased functionality to the industry; write up the chosen items and double-check that print-suitable images have been supplied; write the selected submission to BD’s editorial style; circulate that write-up for editing by BD’s senior editors; address any information/contextual questions raised by the editors during the editing process; shepherd the assigned pages through the production
- Begin to write features for print: Research projects and people for coverage; obtain the necessary photo and editorial first rights; conduct interviews and write copy for the print edition; obtain and assign all graphics for those features; send out fact check drafts; take the lead on taking these features through the entire product process, including reading and approving PDFs
- Attend BD’s two trade fairs, and schedule as many face-to-face meetings with industry vendors as possible. Also: participate in “best product” competitions at Boutique Design New York and BDwest by “shadowing” judges during their evaluation process; sitting in on judging discussions; gathering the needed information and images to cover the winners in the print and online versions of BD.
- Serve as social media editor: Create original posts for FB, Instagram and Twitter; work with Marketing Dept. to share news of our events; cover our events; work with our editors as they travel and post original items to all social media accounts; develop new initiatives to expand our reach and build our followers
- Travel as necessary to our fairs and industry events to build relationships for our brand Attend BD’s two trade fairs, and schedule as many face-to-face meetings with industry vendors as possible. Also: participate in “best product” competitions at Boutique Design New York and BDwest by “shadowing” judges during their evaluation process; sitting in on judging discussions; gathering the needed information and images to cover the winners in the print and online versions of BD; travel to industry events, both product-related and editorial to increase our network and build relationships; become active in NEWH
- Develop and implement new initiatives for our trade fairs; assist editor with the nomination, selection and write-ups of the Boutique 18 honorees.
- Experience in the hospitality design industry with good grasp of the players
- 3+ years of writing experience
- Expertise with creation of stories for and posting on the website
- 3+ years of editing experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications
- Experience in a magazine environment preferred but not required
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience with Adobe Reader
Submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements (a must for consideration) and at least three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We offer an excellent benefit package which includes paid personal and vacation days; medical, vision and dental insurance; and company-paid life, short/long term disability, and AD&D insurance.
For more information about working for ST Media Group International, contact Jill Monday at (513) 263-9339 or email@example.com.